Mom’s 2018 Guide: Does My Baby Need An Organic Crib Mattress?
If you are a new parent to a newborn, the most important product on your registry list is going to be a crib mattress. As a parent, there are so many things to think about on the registry list, and safety is the prime factor. Our little one’s safety is our priority and our job: therefore we google research to find the safest options for our children.
Expert Advice: The American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Back to sleep for every sleep
- Use a firm sleep surface
- Infants should be placed on a firm sleep surface covered by a fitted sheet with no other bedding
- There should be no gaps in cribs, and other sleeping locations
- Do not have baby sleep on mattress topper age for infants younger than 1 years old
- Synthetic Latex
- Toxic Flame Retardants
The above ingredients carry toxins that overtime off gas in the room, creating a posionous environment for you baby. Research at The University of Texas at Austin has shown that these chemicals release 4 times as many VOC’s as old crib mattresses, body heat increases these emissions, and the chemical emission are strongest during infants breathing during naps and bedtime. This is alarming because infants inhale higher air volume than adults and sleep for longer hours, creating a higher rate of exposure of VOC’s.
Flame Retardants: A report in September 2017, Consumer Product Safety Commision issues a warning:
Consumer Product Safety Commission: Recalls: Check out your mattress here to be sure it is not recalled. Check out for recalls on a new mattress, a current mattress you have, and if you have been given a mattress. It is best not to use a used mattress because of new laws, but if you do receive one, be sure to check if it has been recalled.
Dr. Brandon E. Boor,: Research Assistant from Purdue University“Our research shows mattresses can be a significant source of chemical contaminants in the nursery and bedroom,”
- Boor said.
Organic Cotton Waterproof Crib Mattress Cover
Every crib mattress needs a water resistant mattress cover for accidents. For comfort and longevity of the mattress, it is very important to add a mattress cover to any mattress, but babies diapers leak and sweat
- Learn More About
Baby Sleep Stages And Sweating
- Natural & Renewable Soft Woven Organic Cotton Textile
- 12 oz. per yard, heavy duty & Eco-friendly
- Water proof & washable
- All the natural comfort and protection of natural cotton
- No GMO or pesticides, sustainable growing practices
- Cotton Textiles Manufactured Purchased In Accordance Of Fair Trade Rules
- Inside Phthalate & lead free polyurethane film used for waterproofing
Made With Organic Cotton
- Fits Standard 28' x 52' Crib Platform Bed
- Organic Cotton
- No Chemicals or Pesticides
- Firm Support
- See Our Crib Mattress Cover Certification
The Best guide to choosing the best organic crib mattress contains certified organic ingredients. The Futon Shop customizes all their mattresses and crib mattresses in San Francisco. The Futon Shop can make any mattress with certified organic cotton, wool, latex and coconut coir.