Light made from chocolate? Not quite, but the fossilized cocoa leaves used for these organic lamps are collected from the same plant chocolate is made from. The shade is hemstitched with natural abaca fiber. The legs are made of sturdy bamboo and the piece is set to a strong wrought iron frame.
Fossilization is the process of drying leaves over a three to four month period and then hand rubbing the chlorophyll of the leaf so only the leaf’s skeleton remains. This is a labor-intensive process and no corrosive chemicals are used. once the chlorophyll is removed, the leaf is stained in organic dyes. Since the leaves are natural, each one will absorb dye differently. The resulting effect is a lamp with different hues and shades (sometimes within the same leaf).
There are a few cases in which the leaf may have a small tear before it was adhered to the lampshade; due to the low-impact sealant eangee uses, no tear will increase in size nor will any leaf pull from the shade. Only 20 percent of the leaves make it through the entire process for use for these shades.
Once the leaf is stained, it is adhered to a heat resistant backing; similar to the backing found on any standard lamp. The artists cut each leaf to ensure that no leaf will overlap. Finally, a strong sealant is used to ensure the stability and integrity of the shade.
Key Product Ingredients
- shade material - cocoa leaves
- frame & body - bamboo
- bulb suggested - compact fluorescents
- 15" - 1 bulb, 4' - 2 bulbs, 6' - 4 bulbs
- On-off foot switch
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs are highly recommended. these bulbs will get nice and bright without the added heat of a standard incandescent bulb. these bulbs also last much longer, in many cases over five years. on average, a 13-watt fluorescent bulb will create the same lumens of light as a standard 60-watt light bulb and a 26-watt fluorescent light bulb will have the same light output as a 100-watt incandescent bulb. please check with the manufacturer of a specific bulb for its specs.
- Fluorescent light bulbs are considered to be a great alternative to standard light bulbs since they promote energy efficiency. Compact florescent light bulbs have allowed us to create beautiful artistic lighting made out of organic materials that is still functional.
- If an incandescent bulb is used, we suggest a maximum of 40-watts.
| || |
|Length:||9 inches||11 inches||11 inches|
|Width:||9 inches||11 inches||11 inches|
|Height:||15 inches||48 inches||72 inches|| |
* Maintenance: We recommend against placing your lamp in direct sunlight. If cleaning is required, use a dry cloth or duster. We do not suggest liquid cleaners.