Celebrate & Save
In Addition to celebrating 46 plus years at TFS Natural Home, By The Futon Shop, you can save up to 70% off on a face mask made from sustainable and organic ingredients. 46+ years, we have been manufacturing and handcrafting comfort and support in all our Mattresses, sofas,bedding, futons, and facemasks assembled with natural and certified organic ingredients.
Shop Our New Vegan + Hemp Mattress Selections
WORLD'S MOST AFFORDABLE LUXURY NATURAL & ORGANIC FUTON & MATTRESS
After 44 Years Of Serving Over 2 Million Organic & Natural Lifestyle Customers,
The Futon Shop Would Like To Say Thank You
Celebrate The Futon Shop's 46th Anniversary With 45 Fun Futon Facts
Suzanne Diamond Creates the first natural futon mattress in 1976
Suzanne designed chemical free futons with the same natural lifestyle principles as macrobiotic guru Michio Kushi taught her.
A Futon is a Japanese word for Mattress. Pronounced: Foo-ton
In Japan futons are thin mattresses that you sleep on on top of a tatami mat and fold away in the closet during the day. In America over the last 40 years, it has two purposes:
- A Futon is a mattress one sleep on top of a tatami mat or platform bed with slats.
- A Futon is a convertible couch to bed that has three parts: futon mattress, futon frame, and a futon cover
In 1980 William Brouwer made history as a Boston Architect, handcrafting the first futon frame that converts from a couch to bed and was designed in an S-shape displayed in the Arts and Craft Museum of The Modern Art in New York.
The Futon Shop introduces s-shape/ a-frame converting futon frames to customers in her first showroom in Corte Madera.
In 1980 Pete Kloos, a Napa Valley Cooper hand maker for oak barrels made the first pine futon frame frame for The Futon Shop. The Frame was called the Crashpad.
In 1981 The Futon Shop grew to 30 employees
A huge List of Celebrities have purchased or had their assistants purchase a futon over the last 40 years.
In 1982 multiple stores began to open up in Palo Alto and Fremont.
In 1983 multiple stores opened up in Albany and Oakland
In the late 80’s the Fitness Craze brought yoga props and meditation pillows. - The Futon Shop Introduced Buckwheat pillows and Yoga props from the big fitness craze of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmon’s. The yoga props became a hot commodity with customers asking for yoga props in the Futon Shop stores.
In 1991 The Futon Shop opened up 22 stores from Los Angeles to Sacramento
In 1992 The Futon Shop installed a felt Garnet Machine to process natural fiber, organic cotton, and virgin wool.
In 1993 The Futon Shop launched a futon mattress wholesale division through the United States.
From 1994-1997 The Futon Shop hand made American Oak in a factory for 3 years in Southern California.
In 1998 Suzanne was invited to partner with the Japanese Economic Trade Commission ( JETCO), as an American to introduce The Futon Shop futons to the Japanese Public and wholesale agents.
In 1998 The Futon Shop Shipped their First Container To Tokyo Japan.
In 2008 The Futon Shop introduce soy-based foams futon mattresses as a eco-friendly ingredient in their mattresses
The Futon Shop Shares through social media sites, patnerships, website, pamphlets and in stores consumer rights to not have flame retardants in their furniture.
Two Ways The Futon Shop Helps Customer Avoid Flame Retardants:
- The Futon Shop Uses Wool in all chemical free futon mattress. Wool is a natural fire retardant.
- Under the FDA Mattress law 16 CFR part 1633, customer can ask for no flame retardants from their mattress from a manufacturer with a doctor’s prescription.
Read more about Flame Retardant Laws on The Futon Shop
Read More Why Organic Cotton Mattresses Are Better
Check out any of the Chemical Free Crib Mattresses for a mattress without flame retardants
In 2012 Farm To Bedroom Began - The Futon Shop’s concept Farm to Bedroom is a unique way to communicate to consumers how The Futon Shop sources local cotton and wool from Farmers In America.
“Our moto is “What is inside that counts”. With our farm to furniture initiative, we have control of every pound of material we purchase to make our products. Because we source directly from the growers, farmers and processors, there is no middleman or second layer from farm to factory to furniture. Our 46 years of partnering and development with these sources have insured that our certifications and quality are of the highest standards.”
The Futon Shop Joins Organizations and Gets Certified Over the past 40 year span:
- HFA Home Furnishing Association- One of the first members
- OTA Organic Trade Association
- BHFTI Bureau of Home Furnishings & Thermal Insulation
- Sustainable Furniture Council
- BBB Better Business Bureau
- WBENC- Women’s Business Enterprise national Council
- National Holistic Institute
- Breast Cancer Fund- The Futon Shop was vetted by Scientist at the Breast Cancer Fund
- Microsuede and Outdoor Futon Mattress Covers Become most popular Futon Covers
- Storage Drawers for Platform Beds, Futon Frames and Bunkbeds
- Complete Futon Set With Free Shipping sets Across America
- Modern Sofa Beds Futon Category Without Flame Retardant
- Wall Hugger Futon Frames - futon frames you do not have to move away from the wall
29. Asia Tsunami Relief Fundraiser
30. Redwood Empire Food Bank
31. Children’s Hospital Oakland- Charity Auction
32. Red Cross To the residents in Sonoma County forced from their homes by disaster
33. Red Cross For Hurricane Katrina
34. California Counseling Institute
35. San Mateo County Probation Department- Raise Funds For College Scholarships for children
36. Our Lady of The Visitacion School- The 5th Silent Auction
37. Boarding For Breast Cancer for Prevention
Rise Institute - The Futon Shop helped Rise Institute supporting students with internships in the public who for students who need extra support in different aspects of their lives surrounding development needs.
- Jobs Program - The Futon Shop participated in Jobs Now program, implemented In San Francisco during the term of Mayor Gavin Newsom
1995 - Futons For You
1996 - “We Fit The Way You Love To Live”
2005 - “The Futon Shop, Naturally Better”
2013 - Organically Yours
We feel our organic mattresses are the best in the world and we want our customers to have the best night sleep they have ever had. So we are happy to introduce Honest Sleep, the most affordable Toxic Free Mattresses in the world. Imagine a mattress in a box without chemicals made from 100% certified organic materials.
The Futon Shop is more than just an Organic furniture company. As an active member of the bay area, Suzanne Diamond and her team work every day to introduce and empower consumers to purchase affordable chemical free furniture options made in America. Since 1976 our commitment to educate and improve lives extends to our existing and future customers, organizations that promote healthy living options, local organizations, American organic agricultural farmers and eco-conscious like-minded communities. We continue to develop and produce Chemical Free Furniture that supports Suzanne Diamond’s passion for a healthy planet and a healthy future for our children.
Modern Sofas designed for your comfort with your health in mind. Whether it's a modular, sectional, or a standard couch we have a variety of different Organic Sofas In Stock Ready To Ship. Custom orders on request are also available, made to order.
Farm To Furniture Concept
AT TFS Natural Home by The Futon Shop, we believe sustainable living starts with making eco-friendly choices in the products we make.
Our Seattle location is located at The Terminal Sales Building, a historical landmark building located next to Pike Place Market.